Grilled Shrimp and Hearts of Palm Salad
Grilled shrimp are easy, cook in no time flat and are delicious. This is particularly true when they are marinated well and served atop a glorious bed of veggies that include hearts of palm and avocado. This recipe makes for a perfect lunch, light dinner, or a starter at the end of a summer filled with too many meat heavy BBQs. Serve it with a crisp Sauvignon Blanc, and you’ll end up feeling like you ate healthy and enjoyed it!
My husband proclaimed last night that grilled shrimp is one of his favorite foods. Who knew? He doesn’t know why he doesn’t eat it more often. I smiled. I’ll be honest with you and him. This blog is all about putting fantastic and easy recipes on your weekend table, but for the past two weeks I’ve had the luxury of living every day like it is the weekend (I’m taking a perfectly timed two weeks off between jobs). But cooking literally 7 nights a week gets exhausting. I wanted something easy, quick, yet so tasty that I would serve it to guests any weekend. This recipe fit that bill.
I initially tried the hearts of palm salad the other night when guests were over and loved it without the shrimp atop. But a guest commented that it would be better if the ingredients were chopped up a bit more and also suggested that maybe it was just a little bit boring because it only had vegetables. So on Round 2 I chopped the ingredients up pretty good and added a little shrimp to give it just the extra dimension I was looking for. I did forget the green onion (oops!). Don’t. It is an important component.
Two things I might try next time around. I might use romaine instead of the boston lettuce because it is a bit crisper, although the boston lettuce is so mild and tender I vacillate on this change. I might also put a little bit of the jalapeno and garlic that I use for the shrimp into the dressing. I’ve added these ingredients below in the recipe (jalapeno as optional) so if you make it tell me what you think!
- 1 lb large shrimp, cleaned and deveined (optional to leave tails on)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- juice of two squeezed limes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup of chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- salt and peppers to taste
- 1 head Boston Bibb lettuce (or for crisper taste, Hearts of Romaine)
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1 can/jar of hearts of palm, chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ⅓ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chopped jalapeno (optional)
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Combine shrimp with marinade ingredients and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add chopped lettuce, tomatoes, bell peppers, hearts of palm and avocado to a salad bowl.
- Combine all of the first seven vinaigrette ingredients in a small food processor and blend until everything is very finely chopped. Gradually add the olive oil and blend until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Skewer the shrimp (each end should go through the skewer so they can lie flat) and grill for 2-3 minutes per side until pink all the way through.
- Toss the hearts of palm salad with the vinaigrette and top each serving with grilled shrimp.