There is something about that slight chill in the air that gets me craving chili. I also have a husband who has been talking incessently about chili since that first day this fall when the thermometer registered below 70. Let me tell you…There will most certainly be a time this fall when I make a chili with 3 different kinds of meats that stews for hours, gets taken to some outdoor event and is enjoyed with a good beer. But I was going for something a tad bit more nutritious that i could feel good about eating all week long. So this turkey and two bean chili featured above is of the healthier variety. It is made with lean ground turkey, but it is still packed with flavor, featuring numerous spices that don’t necessarily get grabbed from your spice rack often.
This chili is fantastic to serve outside for lunch on a chilly afternoon or even inside by the t.v. for dinner (what the du Ponts did sunday night). It also reheats well for lunch during the week (what the du Ponts did today).
I will give Emeril credit for inspiring this chili, although I did deviate a bit from his recipe. I would cut back on the amount of chicken broth, particularly if you don’t have time to let it simmer off the water for hours (I used 6 cups and would reduce to 4 because it was a bit brothy for my chili tastes). I also selected my own mix of spices based on what I had available on hand in my spice rack. It delivers a little kick, but not too spicy for those with milder taste buds. And while the list of spices may seem intimidating, dumping them into the chili really takes little time for the yummy end result.
One more thing. In keeping with the nutritious theme, I recommend using reduced fat sour cream and cheddar cheese for topping. But in all honesty, I could enjoy this without either!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions
- 2 red peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, fine chopped
- 3 lbs lean ground turkey
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro stems
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 10 oz tomato sauce
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can red beans
- ½ chopped cilantro
- Sour cream (reduced fat recommended)
- Cheddar cheese (reduced fat recommended)
- Heat 1 tbsp (or enough oil to coat pan) in a large pot.
- Add chopped onions and peppers and saute until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and jalepeno peppers and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Next add the ground turkey along with the spices and cook turkey until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Next add chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add beans and simmer for at least an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, sour cream and cheddar cheese)