Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Turkey Bacon and Shallots
Today was one of those days that will most certainly make me smile during the middle of my work week when I think about it. The 60s temperature, clear skies, slight breeze and late afternoon beauty light made an early evening supper with close friends a must. Front and center was this side dish, which is much more than that. These roasted brussels sprouts with turkey bacon and shallots stole the show. Three adults devoured what I was hoping would serve six or create leftovers. I’ll be doubling this recipe for a larger brussels sprouts loving crew.
I find roasted brussels sprouts to be the quintessential autumnal treat. While my family did not traditionally serve them at Thanksgiving, I will most certainly be serving them at this year’s Thanksgiving dinner. So consider whether you want to ditch the green bean casserole and serve this instead.
Here is why I like these little mini cabbage wonders. You can make the turkey bacon and shallots well ahead of time and toss the brussels sprouts with oil, salt and pepper well in advance as well. This enables you to have the entire side prepped in advance save the cooking part, which is incredibly easy to do after your turkey has left the oven.
- 4-5 cups brussels sprouts
- 1 tsp sea salt, freshly ground
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 3 tbsp oil
- 4 slices of turkey bacon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- ¼ cup of white wine
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss brussels sprouts in olive oil and generously salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook the bacon on medium high heat until browned. Remove from pan and set on a plate. After they have cooled, coarsely chop.
- Add a little oil (depending upon whether the bacon has left any fat) to the pan and reduce heat to medium. Add the shallots and saute for 10 minutes until slightly browned and soft. Add wine to the pan and saute until wine has evaporated.
- Remove from heat. (Everything up to this step can be done a few hours in advance.)
- Roast brussels sprouts in oven for approximately 20 minutes until they begin to brown. Add shallots and bacon to dish and cook for approximately 5 minutes more until browned and charred.
- Remove from oven and transfer to serving bowl. Serve immediately.