I have been day-dreaming about Sauteed Broccolini. It is my go-to weeknight or weekend veggie side. Suitable for two and easily doubled or tripled for eight to ten. These sauteed broccolini are a little snazzier than your usual veggie side given the touch of soy sauce, butter, sea salt and red pepper flakes. Yet, they are quite simple and quick to make.
I feel particularly drawn to them today because I haven’t been able to saute vegetables in quite some time due to an unfortunate storm known as Sandy. We were without power and heat for a week! Granted, there are some that are sitting right now without power or a home right now, so I still count us incredibly lucky.
But thankfully our power came back. Just in time because the temperature dropped to about 20 degrees (Phew!). Last night, I literally felt like I had checked into the Ritz after an 8 week long back-packing trip. I got sheer joy out of hearing the dishwasher and dryer running in my own home. I could have watched anything on television. And we ordered a pizza and luxuriously lounged on our old couches. Laziness at its best.
But I wanted to make sure to cook some yummy little green tree scrumptiousness tonight before the next storm hits on Wednesday — and we lose power again. And what else am I supposed to do while I wait for the votes to come in???!??
- 1½ - 2 tbsp butter
- 2 bunches of broccolini, ends trimmed
- ¼ cup of water
- 1-2 tsp of good soy sauce
- Sprinkling of sea salt, paprika, red pepper flakes and ground pepper
- Heat butter on medium high heat until sizzling.
- Add broccolini to pan and saute for 3-4 minutes until butter coats the broccolini.
- Add water and cover pan to steam broccolini for another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove cover and add soy sauce and spices. Saute for an additional minute.
- Transfer to serving dish and immediately serve.