Quick Spinach and Goat Cheese Fritters
I am not sure you’ve noticed, but it is serious Fritter-mania out there. I got an email this morning from Smitten Kitchen. It is all about fritters. I open up the New York Times, they have a recipe for fritters. I think there may have even been a fritter recipe (except they didn’t call it fritters) in Cooking Light. Well, that’s it. I am jumping on the fritter bandwagon with these quick spinach and goat cheese fritters. Yippee-Yi-Yay!
And I was seriously going to come home tonight and become one with my couch. I mean I had a work holiday party last night, followed by 4 am screams from my teething toddler, followed by an oral argument this morning. I am exhausted. But the fritter bug got me as I read various recipes on my commute home. I found myself uncontrollably running to my car once the train had deposited me so I could get home as fast as possible so that I could find whatever I could fritter-ize in my refrigerator. Turned out it was a huge container of baby spinach about to go bad and some goat cheese.
Now this is not your highbrow, foodie fritter recipe with an amazing dip or aioli. Nope. This is a weeknight “how do I use as few dishes as possible, chop barely anything and make these pronto so I can get onto my couch” recipe.
So here’s how it went. I sauteed a bunch of spinach in a little olive oil, drained it and chopped it up a bit and put it in a big bowl. I added a whisked egg, some flour, cumin, cayenne, paprika, garlic powder (too lazy to chop the garlic), goat cheese, salt and pepper into the bowl. I mixed it up real good.
I then coated a big non-stick frying pan with olive oil and got it nice and hot and sizzling. I then dalloped little tablespoons of my mixture into the hot oil, flattening them with the bottom of the spoon.
I let it sizzle for 2-3 minutes and then flipped it so it could sizzle for 2 minutes more.
Then I transferred the fritters to a paper-towel-lined dish so the oil could drain.
Finally, I served them up with a little hummus. In retrospect, some other dip would have been tastier.
While not the prettiest fritters to hit the December dinner scene, for a Thursday night home cooked meal, these 15-minute spinach and goat cheese fritters were a satisfying treat! Let me know if you get the bug…
- olive oil
- 10 oz of baby spinach
- 1 egg, whisked
- 4 tbsp flour
- ½ tsp of cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ or just a dusting of cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute spinach in a large non-stick frying pan in a little olive oil until wilted, about 5 minutes. Wipe frying pan.
- Transfer to colander and drain water. Chop spinach and transfer to mixing bowl.
- Combine egg, flour, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Heat a few tbsp of olive oil in large frying pan so it covers the bottom of the pan.
- When sizzling, add five 1 tbsp dallops of spinach mixture, flattening each of the dallops with the bottom of a spoon. Let cook for 2-3 minutes then flip and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Transfer to paper towel lined plate.
- Repeat with remaining amount of mixture.
- Serve hot!