Spinach Salad with Pepitas and Turkey Bacon
I featured this salad over the summer in my first post that included a multitude of recipes. But I have decided that this Spinach Salad with Pepitas and Turkey Bacon — an original creation — is a winter salad that deserves its own individual post because, well, it’s my favorite salad right now. There is something about the combination of the pumpkin seeds, turkey bacon, machego and the grapeseed oil sweetened with honey that is just so super yum. I could eat the whole bowl of it for dinner alone.
My husband licks the bowl. Not kidding. The kids have even been known to swipe a random spinach leaf along with the turkey bacon when I am not looking.
I really am in shock that it is the year 2013. I can remember dancing to that Prince song that goes “tonight we’re going to party like it’s 1999.” Strangely, at that time, I thought 1999 was so far away. Even more strange, that time seems not that long ago.
It’s weird. One day I woke up and I was old with a mortage, two kids and not enough sleep – EVER. But at least I can take comfort in the fact that Mick Jagger is still much older than me and his face shows the years. But I hope I can rock out like Mick when I’m his age. And I bet Mick eats spinach, don’t you think?
So on days where you wake up old, convince yourself that this spinach salad will do the trick of preserving you for the next 60 plus years so that you too can party like a rockstar….like it is 1999. Cheers!
- 1 package of pre-washed baby spinach (approximately 7 oz)
- 4 slices of crispy turkey bacon - chopped
- ¼ cup pepitas/pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup grape tomatoes halved
- 2-3 tbsp finely shredded manchego
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 tsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- Dump spinach into a bowl.
- Cook turkey bacon in the microwave according to directions (2-3 minutes). Chop turkey bacon and add to the bowl.
- Heat small frying pan and add some olive oil. When sizzling, add pumpkin seeds and roast, tossing periodically for 2-3 minutes.
- Add pumpkin seeds along with remaining oil to salad.
- Half the grape tomatoes and add to the salad.
- Finely shred the manchego and add to the salad.
- Combine all dressing ingredients for dressing and whisk until honey, oil and vinegar are combined.
- Toss less than 10 minutes before serving.