Egg White Frittata with Tomatoes and Arugula
I am in need of an intervention. An Egg White Frittata with Tomatoes and Arugula Intervention.
You see I have been a bad girl. My efforts at “being healthy” this week have failed miserably. In part, it isn’t my fault. I have that killer cold that has been going around where I find myself coughing uncontrollably for minutes on end. I just want to lie on my couch. I have no motivation, let alone self-control.
So this morning I decided to infuse myself with vitamin rich veggies and some low-calorie, but protein rich egg whites. I even used cottage cheese and just a spare amount of parmesan for the top to ensure a low fat and low calorie breakfast. It was tasty for a quick morning healthy creation.
A few comments. I actually used egg whites in the carton because I was out of eggs and I needed something really quick. I found it perfectly good for a morning breakfast for me and my husband, but if I were making this for guests, I would probably use fresh egg whites and maybe one regular egg for a little more taste.
I also found that the frittata was just a little runny due to the tomatoes. I used Campari tomatoes, but I would probably use grape or cherry tomatoes, which tend to have a bit less liquid. Also, make sure to cook the tomatoes only to soften them, but not to the point where they start to look like a tomato sauce. Admittedly, this morning I sauteed them a little long.
My real reason for making this on this Saturday morning was to see if it might be a good weekday breakfast. I am pretty sure I will be making a second round of this on Sunday night, partitioning it into four pieces ready to be quickly microwaved for 30 seconds for an on the go breakfast. You see I need something to keep me on the straight and narrow road to making sure my pants so aren’t so tight!
- 1 cup of egg whites
- 2 tbsp cottage cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup of chopped and deseeded tomatoes
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 tsp dried basil or 2 tsp fresh
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk cottage cheese into egg whites until blended. Grind sea salt and pepper to your taste.
- In a 6 to 8 inch nonstick saute pan (whatever you have) heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add tomatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add arugula and saute until softened and wilted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle tomato/arugula mixture with basil and garlic powder.
- Add egg mixture, stirring the tomato/arugula mixture so it is evenly distributed. Let sit in pan for 4 minutes until eggs begin to set.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 6-7 minutes.
- If you like the top browned, turn to broil for another 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from oven. With a spatula, remove the frittata to a serving dish. Serve it hot!