There is nothing like an end of winter vacation in the sun to bring you to the reality that you’ve added some LBS in the winter months (exact number unclear because the scale is too scary). Even with my super Spanx tankini (Mom, why do all your bathing suits look like twins?), I was feeling rotund on the beach, watching skinny women strut by me as I kept on my cover up and declared a no picture rule.
Upon my return to this lovely tristate weather of rain and clouds, I made this haricot verts with shallots and turkey bacon for a few reasons. One, it is relatively low on calories and high on taste. It is an attempt to get me back on track to slim down for summer because I’ve got some serious work to do. Two, it is more springlike than the weather we’ve been having. Three, it’s a pretty good side to make for Easter if that’s your thing.
I like my haricot verts and any green bean for that matter al dente. So I steamed a bag of these long skinny greens in the microwave for 3 1/2 minutes in a microwave safe dish with a 1/4 cup of water. The came out with just a bit of crunch.
I also microwaved a piece of turkey bacon (you can do two if you are feeling extravagant) and coarsely chopped it up and set that aside.
Meanwhile, I sauteed some shallots and garlic in just a few droplets of olive oil, adding a splash of white wine to the mix, letting the wine simmer down. Finally, I threw into the saute pan the beans, the bacon, some dill and just a touch of butter for taste, along with some fresh ground sea salt and pepper. The result was some super skinny beans with some real zip. Query whether eating long skinny greens will make me skinny and long and zippy? hmmmmm.
- 1 bag of haricot verts
- 1-2 slices turkey bacon
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp white wine
- ½ tbsp fresh dill or ¼ tsp dried
- ½ tbsp butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Steam haricot verts in bag or alternatively in microwave proof container with ¼ cup water for 3½ minutes on high. Drain and set aside.
- Place 1-2 pieces of turkey bacon on paper towel on a plate and cover with second paper towel. Cook on high for 2½ minutes (or according to package directions). Coarsely Chop.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in small skillet on medium heat until sizzling. Add shallots and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute more.
- Add wine and stir until wine evaporates.
- Add in steamed green beans and bacon along with dill, butter and salt and pepper.
- Toss until butter is melted and spices are evenly distributed.