It already feels like we are in the dog days of summer, and it has only just started! On those hot BBQ days, I encourage you to make this Red Cabbage Salad.
You usually think of using red cabbage in a slaw, but this combination is really a salad. Complete with shredded carrots, raisins, goat cheese, toasted pine nuts and an abundance of cilantro and green onions, this salad is refreshing, yet hearty and satisfying. You can even eat it as a main lunch course.
Normally you dress salads at the last minute, because they have a tendency to get soggy quickly. Here, I recommend you toss the salad dressing in an hour or two before serving. It softens up the cabbage and infuses the cilantro and green onions into the cabbage. I also think it is still pretty good the next day if you happen to have leftovers.
The dressing here is a simple grapeseed oil, sherry vinegar and honey combination. The touch of sweetness from the honey vinaigrette and the raisins is a nice complement to the cabbage, cilantro and green onion.
- 1 small head of red cabbage, chopped
- ½ shredded carrots
- 2 tbsp raisins
- ¼ cup goat cheese
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp honey
- Sea salt and ground pepper to taste
- Chop the red cabbage crosswise, then into bite sized pieces. Place in salad bowl.
- Add the shredded carrots, raisins, goat cheese, cilantro and cilantro to the bowl.
- Heat a tsp of olive oil in a saute pan over medium high heat.
- Saute the pine nuts, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add directly to the bowl with the oil.
- Whisk together the grapeseed oil, sherry vinegar, honey and salt and vinegar to taste.
- Toss dressing with salad and let sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours before serving.