Everything really is better with bacon, particularly center cut bacon. This romaine and bibb lettuce salad with blue cheese and bacon proves the point.
We served this salad along with some extra large T-bones and a tomato and mozzarella salad last night. No one could finish his steak, but the salad bowl was licked clean.
I don’t purport to suggest that this is the healthiest salad that I have ever created. While not quite the your high calorie steakhouse wedge with blue cheese, it’s got some rich components to be sure. But don’t underestimate the power of the radish 🙂 And the romaine lettuce has a bit more nutritional value than the good ole iceberg lettuce. I also very lightly dressed this in a mustard vinaigrette as opposed to using a creamy dressing. Finally, I used minimal amounts of blue cheese, and just two pieces of center cut bacon was enough for this large salad.
It’s very easy to pull together every component of the salad except that bacon while the bacon crisps up in a saute pan. Then, using a slotted spoon so that the bacon fat stays in the pan, transfer the bacon to the salad, toss with the vinaigrette and serve.
Romaine and Bibb Lettuce Salad with Blue Cheese and Bacon
- 2 slices center cut bacon, chopped
- 2 small heads of romaine lettuce
- 1 head of bibb lettuce
- 1/3 cup blue cheese
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp chives
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chop up 2 slices of center cut bacon. Add bacon to saute pan and saute chopped bacon until pieces are browned and crispy.
- Meanwhile, assemble remaining salad ingredients in bowl.
- Once bacon is well browned, transfer with a slotted spoon to top salad.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and mustard until blended and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the salad with the vinaigrette and serve immediately.