Wax Bean and Radish Salad
This Wax Bean and Radish Salad — with main ingredients fresh from the farmer’s market — rocks and is gluten free. I must add that the delicious parsley buttermilk dressing, blue cheese and turkey bacon are added pluses that makes this quite the tasty side for any summer dinner, be it large or small.
Even if it is August and the days of summer are numbered. Hmff!
The grand inspiration for this summer side comes from a recipe in Cooking Light. It was modified slightly by subbing turkey bacon in place of the pork full fat variety and adding some chives because I had some available. It worked as far as I am concerned. And well, the balding (and recently greying in a very cute way at the sideburns) hunk ate 3 servings so he was certainly satisfied (“What are these yellow bean things? Radishes and blue cheese in one dish?”).
And I must take this opportunity to plug a recipe from last year that is certainly just as based on farm fresh ingredients and yet a twist on the standard fare. You can serve this Corn Salad with Cilantro and Green Onions alongside this dish. We had it last weekend alongside summer BBQ and it was all anyone could talk about.
- ¼ cup low-fat buttermilk
- ¼ cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 8 cups water
- 1 pound fresh yellow wax beans
- 1 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce crumbled blue cheese (about ¼ cup)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices of turkey bacon, cooked, drained and chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped chives for garnish
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl.
- Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add wax beans; cook 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and plunge into ice water; drain.
- Combine beans, radishes, and oil in a large bowl; toss to coat. Place bean mixture on a serving platter; drizzle with buttermilk dressing. Top with cheese, pepper, and bacon. Garnish with fresh chives.