In this holiday season when you need a simple dinner that still can impress, try this easy Roast Chicken. It’s a mere 10 minutes prep and it will feed 4-6 easy (so double up if you have a bigger crowd). The chicken is tender. It’s flavorful, yet healthy. And my kids will eat it. What else could you want for an easy dinner during the holidays?
There are two key things to making a simple roast chicken delicious.
First, you need to stuff it with some good stuff like lemons (quartered, squeezed, then shoved into the bird), fresh herbs, garlic, salt and pepper.
Next, you need a little oil or butter to coat the skin to seal the flavor and give it that glow that makes it so pretty when it comes out of the oven. I’m obsessed these days with Aleppo Pepper. I think it was in among the culinary snobs years ago, but it took me until now to truly embrace its flavor and transforming qualities. A simple roast is made even more favorable by a butter sauce with my beloved Aleppo Pepper, paprika, lemon rind granules and salt — all massaged into that little bird.
You may have noticed that the Weekend Table blog has been on a bit of a hiatus. Or maybe you haven’t. The reality is that I had a brief hardware failure. My MacBook Air decided to self destruct right when I was completing a little cookbook to give out to family and friends at the holidays. Thankfully, the balding hunk has a back up system in place so most was not lost. But needless to say, that was a bit of a hiccup for me and this whole blogging thing.
And yes, I have been focused on getting “Salads for Every Season” out before Christmas. Needless to say, the little time that I have available for blogging was used for the cookbook. It’s a cute little thing co-authored with my daughter, so check it out!
- 1 3.5-4 lbs roasting chicken
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp aleppo pepper
- 1 tsp lemon rind granules
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 lemon quartered
- 4 sage sprigs
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Melt butter and combine with aleppo pepper, lemon rind granules, smoked paprika, sea salt and pepper.
- Salt and pepper inside of the cavity of the chicken
- Squeeze lemons into cavity and stuff in quartered lemons along with sprigs of sage, thyme and rosemary.
- Pour butter mixture over chicken and massage into skin so evenly distributed.
- Place chicken in oven breast up and cook for approximately 70 minutes.