Old Fashioned Popcorn with Truffles and Bacon
There is something incredibly special about Old Fashioned Popcorn. Add in bacon and truffle butter, and you’ve got yourself something magical. That is why I encourage you to try this recipe for Old Fashioned Popcorn with Truffle and Bacon the next time you need a little magic in your life.
I grew up in the time where air popped popcorn was all the rage. Every one had their own contraption with a separate area to melt the butter. Yet despite the ease at which a kid could air pop her own corn, one of my favorite things to do as a kid was to make popcorn the good old fashioned way with my grandmother. It tasted way better and was a lot more fun.
Grandma would stand behind me as I filled the bottom of a big pot with the popcorn kernels so that there was a single layer of little round wonders. Next I would pour in the vegetable oil so that it slightly covered each popcorn kernel. Then we’d turn on the heat and wait and listen for that first little pop! Once you heard it, it was imperative that you begin to shake the pot back and forth to facilitate the popping. And you had to listen. If it began to slow down, it was time to take it off the stove or it would burn.
I don’t know how many times I made popcorn with Grandma as a kid (too many to count!). About a month ago, my kids begged me for old fashioned popcorn. And it was like I was nine years old again, standing on a chair in the kitchen. The steps came back from the depths of my mind, and in a matter of minutes we had old fashioned popcorn! And it was absolutely delicious.
But this recipe takes it up a notch. I added in my own version of truffle butter created by melting butter with some truffle oil and some aleppo pepper and some overly crispy bacon. I guarantee if you make this and serve it at your next party, people will proclaim that you have made popcorn crack!
And just a suggestion: If you’ve got a real big gang coming over. Make two batches. Serve one like my grandma would have with a little melted butter and some salt and another using the recipe below. Alternatively, make the popcorn anyway you like by omitting the truffle oil, parmesan or bacon. Your choice!
- Popcorn to fill the bottom of your pot in a single layer
- Canola oil to fill the bottom of your pot and coat the popcorn kernels
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp truffle oil
- ¼ tsp aleppo pepper
- 5-6 slices of overly crispy bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp parmesan
- Truffle Sea Salt to taste
- Pour enough popcorn to fill the bottom of a large pot (like 8 qt stock pot)
- Pour in enough canola oil to cover the kernels
- Heat on medium high heat.
- When you hear the first pop, begin to shake the pot back and forth over the heat.
- When you hear the popping begin to slow, remove from heat and let continue to pop (Your popcorn will almost fill the pot).
- Melt the butter in the microwave (about 30-45 seconds) and stir in the truffle oil and aleppo pepper. Toss the popcorn with the butter.
- Chop up the crispy bacon into bacon bits and pour over the corn along with the parmesan.Toss again.
- Add truffle salt (or sea salt) to taste.