Lemon Broccoli with Tahini Yogurt Dressing
Lemon Broccoli with Tahini Yogurt Dressing is my favorite side right now. Snazzier than your standard steamed broccoli with butter, this roasted broccoli dish elevates your dinner to restaurant quality with little effort. It’s just what you need in this snow filled February.
I typically tweak and change most recipes I find in magazines and online (and I do so uncontrollably), but not this one from Tara Duggan that was recently featured in Food & Wine magazine. It was perfectly crafted. No need for tweaking except for a swap of sea salt for kosher salt because that is what I had on hand.
The yogurt tahini dressing comprised of yogurt, tahini, garlic and lemon juice is mixed in just a few minutes and can be made hours to a day or two ahead of time. You can also prep the broccoli tossed with lemon rinds, olive oil, crushed red pepper (I use Aleppo) and salt on your baking sheet an hour or two before you put it in the oven. From my perspective, those are key things to have in a side dish you are preparing for a dinner party. This dish is prepped before guests arrive, can go in the oven for a mere 20 minutes after your main dish has come out. It then goes straight from the oven to a serving plate artistically spread with the tahini yogurt dressing. It’s oh so pretty and totally delish!
I would be remiss if I did not also point out that this is also an incredibly healthy dish. Broccoli is not only high in fiber, it has vitamins C, B6 and A, potassium, phytochemicals and antioxidants. In other words, its good for your heart and your immune system. This is just the kind of stuff a woman needs in the first weeks of forty after having spent a long weekend in Mexico, snacking on corn chips and sipping on tequila.
- 1½ pounds broccoli—stalk trimmed and peeled, head cut into large florets
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced into ⅛-inch-thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (Aleppo pepper is ideal), plus more for garnish
- Sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Flaky sea salt, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450°.
- Slice the broccoli stalk crosswise and the florets lengthwise ¼ inch thick; transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.
- Add the sliced lemon, olive oil and the ¼ teaspoon of crushed red pepper and season with sea salt; toss to coat.
- Roast for about 10 minutes, until lightly browned. Stir in the sesame seeds and roast until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the yogurt with the tahini, lemon juice and garlic and season with kosher salt.
- Spread the yogurt sauce on a platter and top with the broccoli. Garnish with sea salt and crushed red pepper and serve warm.