One pot recipes that can be prepared in relatively short order like this Roasted Chicken with Harissa Chickpeas are little gems in the midst of a hassle-filled week. This one particularly keeps giving because it tastes just as good when re-heated for lunch or another dinner later in the week.
I flagged this Roasted Chicken with Harissa Chickpeas by Dawn Perry featured in Bon Appetit as a must try weeknight recipe for a variety of reasons. First, I haven’t done a whole lot of experimenting with Harissa, which is a North African Chili paste available from a bunch of different brands at Whole Foods, specialty markets or online. Second, the balding hunk likes anything that has a good kick to it. Third, he also likes anything that has chickpeas in it. Fourth, the ingredient list is fairly short and much of it can be yanked from the freezer or cabinet in short stead without a whole lot of advanced planning.
Note: There isn’t a whole lot of magic to this recipe because I’m not looking for magic on a Tuesday night in the what could be coldest month on record in the Northeast. I want something hot (spicy and warm!) with little to no effort that is reasonably inexpensive, gluten free and healthy. This roast chicken fit the bill.
This recipe calls for simply browning the chicken thighs in your roasting pan followed by a quick saute of some garlic and onion. You then add some tomato paste and then some chickpeas, harissa and broth, and pop it in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Once it is out, you top it with parsley and lemon wedges. I served it with a steamed veggie (broccoli or green beans will do) and some brown rice and had an easy week night meal. Try it!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 lb.)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed
- ¼ cup harissa paste
- ½ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in 2 batches, cook until browned, about 5 minutes per side; transfer to a plate.
- Pour off all but 1 Tbsp. drippings from pan. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until beginning to darken, about 1 minute.
- Add chickpeas, harissa, and broth; bring to a simmer.
- Nestle chicken, skin side up, in chickpeas; transfer skillet to oven. Roast until chicken is cooked through, 20–25 minutes. Top with parsley and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over.