It’s August – late August. I found myself at the farmer’s market this past Saturday morning — buying more ears of corn than my family could possibly eat because, well… the days are numbered.
Presented with too much corn to serve my small family and a few guests on a summer evening, I made this corn salad with cilantro and green onions. Being forever practical, I threw in some quinoa, black beans and hearts of palm so as to make a hearty side that would serve us well all week.
It’s Wednesday, and it’s gone.
I made the misfortune (fortune?) of bringing my little white haired monster to the market with me to purchase the corn. Perhaps in keeping with his own hair, he helped me pick out the white corn from the table. After having selected some white corn ears, he was distracted. Mommy was just too busy watching him display his new found skills of potty training in the wide open air of the farmer’s market to notice that it was white corn. I would have gotten yellow, but sometimes you take what you get and you don’t get upset.
Ultimately, life passes us by sometimes. You blink and summer is almost gone. And you cling to weekends like this past one. Friends give you an opportunity at an old school party to pretend like you really aren’t a mother of two getting older by the leaps and bounds at every turn, but rather someone that loves to dance the night away on a beautiful summer evening like you have a bit of innocence left in you. Precious moments.
- 6 ears of white corn
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1 can of hearts of palm, chopped
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp lime juice (juice of one lime)
- 1 tbsp red wine vingar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of cayenne
- Husk corn.
- Heat a large pot of salted water to boil. Add corn for 3 minutes -- no more.
- Remove from heat. Once killed, use knife to remove kernels from corn and place in large salad bowl.
- Chop the cilantro, green onion, and hearts of palm and add to salad bowl.
- Rinse and drain beans and add to the bowl.
- Whisk together the grapeseed oil, lime juice, vinegar, salt, pepper and cayenne. Add to salad ingredients and serve.